Monday 25 June 2012

Phil Gray's Allsorts

My old friend started a thing on facebook about the sweets you used to eat in the 60's and what they did to you. I think he could almost write a book on the subject, here are two of my more anecdotal comments on that post:

I had a penny arrow, sitting in my desk.
You were not allowed sweets in school, I was saving it for the walk home
- I wasn't going to eat it, I was only seven.
But the girl I shared the double desk with couldnt wait for the class to settle down for the afternoon and out came "sir, Martin's got a penny arrow"
This was the first time my trust had been betrayed by a woman.
I still remember Margaret Little!

and-
On the home run, we stopped at Toogoods cafe for sweete on Fridays.
The lad involved in this anecdote's name was Robert Hookham and out of desperation he invaded his sister's savings box and bought up a whole box of bubblegum. There were 144 inall, I know, I counted them.
We stopped eating bubblegum after a while and never started again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.