Thursday 22 September 2011

Favourite Things

Originally posted 22nd September 2011

On my 60th birthday,
When the dog bites,
when the bee stings,
when I'm feeling sad - - - -


I went to a kind of talk at Icon the other week hosted by Ruben and Karyn. They gave out eight favourite things and why. It was informative and entertaining.
(not in one go) I will endeavour to list mine:

Painting
The Lake by Kandinsky.

I first discovered Kandinsky when I was initially learning to paint properly at 21, after my foundation course had finished .
I particularly liked his early-ish paintings that had very strong connections to Russian folk law. Wide open spaces, all very romantic, steeped in a past that was changing, but at the same time containing a very "cosmic" energy.
His own comment was " explaining the mysterious by means of the mysterious".



He spelt out the vastness of the heavens and the largeness of the land. He certainly does this in "the Lake" in a kind of almost naive simplistic kind of way.
The boat men are just passing through life's journey.

I love the way he dissects the sky and the beautiful colours that he uses. This makes me realize that I haven't seen this painting for a long time and that maybe I ought to be thinking of making a painting "after it" myself.


Music:
The Rites of Spring, by Stravinsky.
A good piece to achieve a parallel universe on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF1OQkHybEQ

Song:
Understanding, by the Small Faces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUyCss-KeXY
 
Must be the "B" side single of the sixties that got away.
I believe that this was the first time that a whistle was blown on a record before disco got hold of them. - the first time I ever heard one anyway!
It must have always been overshadowed by "All or Nothing" on the other side.

Starting with the bottom keys on a piano it sets the framework for many "metal" songs 6-10 years later.
The main thing that gets me about this track is that most of the band must have been teenagers when they wrote it - and to talk about love being an understanding thing at that age is pretty impressive!
Anyway, I'm pretty sure it was the first record to really knock my socks off!




Poem:
O by the by, by e e cummings.
o by the by
has anybody seen
little you-i
who stood on a green
hill and threw
his wish at blue

with a swoop and a dart
out flew his wish
(it dived like a fish
but it climbed like a dream)
throbbing like a heart
singing like a flame

blue took it my
far beyond far
and high beyond high
bluer took it your
but bluest took it our
away beyond where

what a wonderful thing
is the end of a string
(murmers little you-i
as the hill becomes nil)
and will somebody tell
me why people let go
 
To me, the father of contemporary poetry, pop songs et all.
Basically I love it because it is so uplifting (and true).

Story:
Kim, By Rudyard Kipling.

I see Kipling as one of the great story tellers.
I believe he was quoted as saying that there are only twenty five stories that can possibly be told. - or something similar.
I reckon he covered a few of them in the "Just So" stories.

But for me, his monumental one was "Kim".
-who tries to discover himself, warts an' all.
I find it a cheerful read, despite all the things that can and do go wrong.
I love the way that Kim deals with things with his simplified thought processes, weaving through and around all kinds of complexities.

I enjoy the book having various off shoots, profound announcements, like "you don't become a man until you've killed a man"
-taken out of context, but coming from and explaining someone else's life story.

Possibly a good book for teenagers to cover in school.

And lastly - the taste that lingers is that it is an upbeat assessment of life's trials and tribulations.
"Think positive" is a slogan that could very comfortably fit with it.

Place:

Person:
Ken Kesey (and the Merry Pranksters)
This lot, or episode sums up for me, the raw thought that lay underneath the psychedelic thing in the sixties.
Covering the happenings, spontaneous free flowing expression and artistic jumbling up of various forms of statement.
Ive read Tom Wolfe's "Electric Kool Aid Acid Test", Ken Kasey's Demon Box and also his picture book produced at the time, coverage of events that stemmed from his farm and the bus. And of course also "Sometimes a Great Notion" and "One Flew over the Cuckoos Nest".

I would have liked to have been there, but wonder if I'd have survived.
It struck me that the Pranksters endeavour was not based on "love and peace" but on discovery. (Although there is nothing wrong with the former!)
He had already gone "fuck it" to Vietnam and the great American dream, he was onto the next stage without particular political axes to grind.


Jumping back to the love and peace thing, was the best way for the community to survive - -  Good Vibrations.
Anything heavy and you could screw somebody up for life.
People (at times ) try to gage when post modernism began - sure, one could say "Da Da" but there was a lot of it here, in breaking down barriers and definitions.
Much present-day performance stuff seems to be a glorification of that scene.


Film:
Pinocchio, by Walt Disney.

 
More to do with what I related to as I was primarily growing up. I remember going to see the film by myself one Christmas eve when I was about nine. I think the barrage of colour and composition had a lot to do with it.
During my first interview for a foundation course in 69, they asked me which artists inspired me - to which I replied Disney.
They weren't overly impressed!
 
 

Architecture:
The Watts Towers.

 
Magnificent man made conglomerate.
The ultimate in "folk art"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.