Monday 27 August 2012

Spot the sign


My previous (last) commitment and possibly the most important one since my 60th birthday.

I wanted to see one of the pub signs in situ, in public, maybe in a place where I could see some sort of reaction or even feedback. Also in a place where I could see one of the signs from a distance.
Importantly though, I wanted to show something in an arena where it would be welcomed by its "landlord". - In fact I had got to the stage where this was imperative after too many months of ifs, ands and maybes.

So the thing stood in the middle of an "event" at the Spotted Dog.
Photo

I didn't see the event, but Sean Tighe tells me that it was both accepted and rejected - which suits us both. Whatever, it was the possible starting point for "part-time interventions". Which leads me on to a "next".
A dog house, labelled "Spot" which follows on from the sign (fortunately). But also happens to be the type of thing that I have been aiming to make for a while - and also along the lines of things that I have been making since the age of eight - gang huts!
My initial idea was a simple dog house with a papier-mache "Spot", like "the Universal.

Photo
But the idea was mooted of a kennel big enough for small children. Which follows on to "what about big children" - but following that: the smallest space that a "big child" could  comfortably sit in to maybe escape blame and retribution. After all, it is a dog house. Importantly though - with embellishment, it is also a folly.
Very waterproof with a translucent roof for a shady light. Built on a step/slope with a little porch on it.
And - fitting into the sad walled area which could provide a stunning area for a view from the smoking area all twinkly on a winter night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.