Sunday 13 March 2011

the telling stories mode

From Achilles Shield
Unfortunately linking up with Libya.


At present, my work seems to be going instinctivly back toward the telling stories mode: making pictures or things that comment on something else that actually exists, or illustrating a story already written, or making up my own narrative. Very often a slice of a yarn that need not have been completely written or finished, but is expressed (mainly) in paint form as though it was finalised and brought to a conclusion.
The other alternative, which at present I seem to be moving away from, is the creation of artifacts that simply exist in their own right.
Maybe this is a clumsy way of explaining them as they seem to need to exist in a specific environmentin order to work. – T o become apparent as to what their own existance is about.
-So they are beholden to other factors – they have to fit into an area, both physical and social, in order to become relevent, explainable, and to produce their own life and existance.
But their actual narrative is largely their own: as a viewer , the audience by and large makes up the history, function and coundrums involved.
Possibly,
The main reason I am moving back to the telling stories mode, is that these expressions exist in their own right, they are largely relevent to wherever they sit.
In order to make or present them, I don’t have to be particularly beholden to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.