Thursday 14 April 2011

Highbrow Folk Art


About my artwork, for Art 3000

All pertanent art must be about " the times" – otherwize it's just an expression that may or may not hit the mark.
Even statements about " the perpetual nature of----" must be seated from a contemporary perspective.
I consider myself to be very much a product of my time , which hopefully is reflected in my work and life as it passes through changing times
Artistically I came into being on the cusp of post-war Britain.
I contain the observations of a baby boomer, in fact one that is seeing that contemporary post war issue getting old – becoming what it was rebelling against
Times of want instead of times of need.
A chance for art for art’s sake all round.
I feel my work is partially about coping with rapid change in an old fashioned way.
It falls between very different schools of thought, starting off in an old fashioned painterly note and then colliding with many elements of post modern thought.
Although, I feel I could take post modernism back to the mid sixties where things were generally being changed and shaken up. A period in which you didn’t have to be part of the art establishment in order to have your say, produce art, just do it.
Kind of Joe Public becomes Da Da.
Dealing with and skirting around new technology issues – maybe even perverting them to fit into slightly dated trains of thought and statement. From/with eyes that initially knew a very stable, gradual line of invention.
Practically speaking, I am basically a painter, but I do have other arrows to fire. I like to have a selection of various skills at hand.
I like working with my hands, building things, fitting into situations.
I'm pretty prolific and don’t feel comfortable when I'm not producing things.
My work often comes out in a full-on eidetic fashion, part of that process that I grew up with.
I wonder nowadays how necessary is it to even have skills: as an artist.
I like to scavenge and recycle – a sign of the times.
I like working with my hands, building things, fitting into situations
On the face of it, my work can seem to be "outsider art" – but, outside of what? Possibly outside of current ways of portraying stuff.
I do feel that it is very much comment coming from the ground upwards what ever format it appears in.
I often deal with unbelonging and displacement, a thing that seems to happen a lot too much at present.
My work often comes out in a full-on eidetic fashion, part of that process that I grew up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.