Friday 13 May 2011

In Defence of "Granny Painting"

There is a term which describes the use of non waterproof pen lines with brush and water to create immediate effect.
Immediate excitement as it were.
Good to create fairies and mystical feel.
And , if that inspires one to be creative - well, why not?
I could be good for fourteen year olds in a school situation.
It is also very easy, physically.
In that you could near enough do it on your knees- you only need somewhere to stash your water.
But,
I don’t think it is something to actually brag about, unless it is taken further.


The Royal Wedding

I use it in three ways:
1 Primarily to get an idea down - there is access to tonal qualities very quickly.

2 Also, there is a certain amount of not knowing what exactly is about to happen. It can inform the initial statement - suggest other alternatives in quite a painterly way.
It is in fact edging onto a kind of surreal form of development - coaxing out partially submerged ideas and forms. Also helping to solidify composition - tying bits of drawing up as a whole.
3 It can also be used as a working base. It lends itself quite comfortably to the inclusion of water colour based washes, and then can be corrected with more opaque layers, it can cry out to be finished off and tidied up.



It can of course also be worked on with water proof pen either to produce more linear work or used in a kind of hatching process.
It can in fact leave itself open to quite a considerable amount of further work, to the point where that part of the process is not identifiable anymore

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.