Sunday 8 May 2011

What is Surreal?


In a lot of senses - I suppose that I have been following "surrealist" path throughout my entire art life. Since I was fifteen years old.
Loads of my work comes out as brain to hand - immediate stuff before anything else gets in the way. Any other thoughts that is.
But the subject matter is also directly about "unlocking what was being thought" as oppose to "what the thought process was about".
I am in a position where I can exist and carry on producing art that is only relevant to my being and my way of life.
I don’t have to work in a supermarket and I don’t have to paint portraits in fair grounds.
I can't fault it,
But I do complain sometimes.
BUT surreal is such a big taboo.
Is this mainly because of Dali? - when I can find this kind of stuff everywhere. Start with meditation and you have to free your mind of anything else.
Surreal is cool (really).
Does the idea precede the mark?
I mean the focus on this ;
If you think too hard about what you are about to do, everything pauses, and sometimes everything goes, is lost.
( this is normal isn't it?)
Where is the line?
Being weird,
Or living a weird edge?
It doesn’t matter in the end what I'm painting about - not even handling the subject, or subject matter.
It's how I have painted it.
This is how it is to me.
It's me being a craftsman.
In many other ways maybe I could have been a diplomat or a councillor(!?)
You can say artistic things in many ways, but there is a fine line
- somehow, somewhere I know there is!

1924
Surrealism
-to express the subconcious activities of the mind by representing the phenomena of dreams and similar experiences. - using chance and the unconcious as methods for exploring the "unreal"
(Miro) leaning toward abstract expressionism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.