Friday 20 May 2011

Its a maze in me - its amazing me.

Painting from the middle of a maze.
Surrounded by passing ambiguity.
Why do I paint in such an open ended way?
"It must be difficult to work out where the painting is going,
Or in fact
What is happening at any point (until it is tied up)"
I suppose what its all about is "keeping the ball up in the air as long as possible."
Not always
And not on all paintings - some are very much straight through, self determined - a race to the finish that is always in sight.
Some paintings could do with a journey, an unknown destination.
Maybe even and only, half a thought out subject.
Maybe it’s a case of accepting that on occasion I don’t have a clue as to what is actually happening in front of me.
Or
If I did not having the ability or mental capacity to be able to assimilate all the loose bits of information occupying the various areas within the composition.
Its almost like giving up the control of the thing and letting it sort itself out (in my hands)
An alternative take could be having a subject in the minds eye as it were and slowly moving towards it with a uniform but open composition. Building it up, but always leaving holes in which "matters of importance" could slot in. - Home for definitive statements.
But
These comments would end the thing, tie it up, finish it.
Almost like adding little droplets of water on the petal of a still life.
Skirting around the issue, then, having prepared the ground – making the point.
It’s a maze in me – Its amazing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to say whatever you feel.
I would be more than happy if your comment turns into a longer statement than mine.
I feel it adds to the body of work and as yet you are one of a small nuber of people who read this anyway!

Followers

Profile

My photo
In this brace of blogs, I am trying to sum up the artistic goals I am aiming for. Maybe, more for myself rather than other people although I would like others to read it. I intend to use the sites as places to which I invite people, I dont expecr an immediate rash of people keen to pore over my life. I see it as a kind of glorified C.V. that will probably never get finished.